Right within Harrisonburg, without venturing past city limits, you’ll find an impressive range of fascinating museums—including one dedicated to preserving Virginia's quilting heritage, one featuring historic firefighting memorabilia, and one that’s chock-full of interactive, multi-sensory learning fun for children! Click on any or all of these museums to visit their official websites:
- Eastern Mennonite University Hostetter Museum of Natural History
- Explore More Discovery Museum, Harrisonburg Children's Museum
- Harrisonburg Fire Department Museum
- Harrisonburg Rockingham Civil War Orientation Center in the Hardesty-Higgins House
- Heritage Museum: Harrisonburg-Rockingham Historical Society, one of the finest regional historical societies and museums in Virginia
- James Madison University Mineral Museum
- John C. Wells Planetarium at James Madison University—so state-of-the-art it’s the only one of its kind in the world!
- Valley Brethren-Mennonite Heritage Center
- Valley Turnpike Museum in the historic Hardesty-Higgins House
- Virginia Quilt Museum, in the historic Warren-Sipe House
There's no need to leave the area to experience nationally recognized speakers and artists. From right here at VMRC to the nearby college campuses, there are multiple avenues to hear from a variety of lecturers.