Dining, Culture, Performing Arts - Harrisonburg has it all!
Harrisonburg has a lot to offer and can be described in numerous ways – it’s a college town, a culinary district, a nature lover’s paradise, an art oasis and an ideal place to retire.
A number of accolades have been bestowed upon the city in recent years:
- Harrisonburg has been named to Forbes' list of The Best Places to Retire numerous times - transportation, health care, education, living, housing, climate and proximity to colleges and universities are all factors leading to the honor (2015-2018)
- U.S. News & World Report named Harrisonburg the Best Places to Launch a Second Career After Retirement (2014)
- It’s a "Favorite Town in America" - literally! - named by Travel and Leisure (2016)
- Southern Living named it to "Affordable Small Towns We Love" (2016)
- It's a U.S. city with the cleanest air according to the American Lung Association (2017)
In 2014, Downtown Harrisonburg was named Virginia's first Culinary District. And, it's been designated as an Arts and Cultural District since 2001. Harrisonburg is home to more than 33 Virginia Green businesses, organizations and events. Learn more about Harrisonburg and all of its restaurants, activities and accolades by visiting the Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance and Harrisonburg Tourism websites.
Two universities are located within the city limit allowing Harrisonburg to uniquely benefit from all that higher learning institutions have to offer. Eastern Mennonite University (EMU), alma mater of Leymah Gbowee, one of three women jointly awarded the 2011 Nobel Peace Prize, is located next door to VMRC. Not only does the proximity offer access to their wealth of educational, cultural, recreational, and performing arts events and resources that are open to the public but they generously share with us access to their outdoor and indoor tracks, library, tennis courts, and nature trail! James Madison University (JMU) is just across town and provides numerous opportunities for learning and engagement.
The Surrounding Area
It's easy to travel within Harrisonburg and beyond. VMRC is located on the public bus and paratransit bus routes making it convenient to get around within the city limits. We're only 30 minutes away from the Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport which offers daily flights to/from Chicago and Washington, D.C. (and free parking!)
Not interested in air travel? Washington, D.C., Richmond, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York City are all just a few hours away by car, bus or train!